Tags : Mobile-first Search engine optimization Website design
Categorised in: Blog
The ease of usability and utility of your website determines the success, not the visual design. Your website is the public face of your business; all potential customers will visit your site before they ever contact you. It is a good idea to get your website designed by a professional with SEO experience.
Taking shortcuts or prioritizing design over Search Engine Optimization will result in your website, ultimately failing.
Where is the magic?
A good website is a collaborative effort, and these design principles will help you and your web designers to develop awesome designs and to enhance the usability of a website.
This list of 8 design guideline will make your website aesthetic, user-friendly, effective, and engaging:
- Please keep it simple. The over-designed website does not work. Putting too many elements on the page will lead to distracting visitors from the primary purpose of your website. Simplicity always works in a useful web page design because your user journey should be designed to help them make a buying decision. The clean and fresh design of your website not only makes the site appealing but will also help the user to move from one page to another seamlessly. Keep your design as crisp and straightforward, so that visitors feel it is easy-to-use. Let them find their way quickly to making the buying decision with the information you have provided.
- Keep the story straight. Consistency is golden. Spend some extra time matching design elements throughout each of the pages. Your layout, fonts, headings, button ad use of negative space must be consistent throughout the website. Plan everything. Prioritize consistency of the fonts and the right colors for your texts, buttons, and stick to them throughout the development.
- Gone in 60 seconds. No matter how good your design is, content still rules the website, as it provides users with information. Focusing more on the material than the design is something you should consider. Since search engine crawlers focus on content and not design, it becomes an essential part of Search Engine Optimization.
Keep your content fresh relevant and up to date, and build a journey for your users to experience.
- Mobile-first. Smartphones and tablets now account for more website traffic and buying decisions than desktops. Web design must be valid for Mobile-first. If your website design doesn’t support all screen sizes, you will lose the battle to your competitors.
- Hey good looking. A good color combination makes the user’s journey richer, while an unfortunate combination can lead to distraction and ultimately a bounce.
Meaning that you need to consider the color palette for your website very carefully.
Build the user’s journey by relying on complementary color palettes to give a balanced-look to your website design. Remember to use white space, as it eliminates visual clutter and mess. Also, avoid using too many colors. 3 or 4 tones for the whole websites are enough to create a bright, user-friendly design.
Same is the case with images. Don’t make the mistake of replacing valuable SEO rich content with images.
- Speed is everything. It is very frustrating when a website takes too much time to load. Especially for Search Engines, if your website takes more than 3 seconds to load, it will never make it past page two on Google. So make sure your designer is optimizing image sizes, and doing a professional job by not cutting corners.
- Three clicks and you are out. Experience shows that users stay longer on websites that have easy navigation. For better navigation, create a logical page hierarchy so that you can see the journey designed for your users. You should follow the “three-click-rule” to ensure that users on your website can find the information they need to make a buying decision within three clicks.
- To be clear. The reason users visit your website is to get information, and if your website effectively communicates the right information, they will make buying decisions. Organize your information and present explicit, meaningful content that your potential market can relate to quickly.
Website design and Search engine optimization.
A website designer will build to your specification and take your money, whether your website design is Search Engine friendly or not. Have you ever heard the expression, “The customer is always right”, then you should understand what this means.
You can have the most beautiful website ever created, but if search engines can’t understand it, no one will ever see it.